The American Legion is the world’s largest veteran’s organization with 2.3 million members. In Massachusetts, there are over 40,000 members, in Essex County, over 3,000 members and the Haverhill Post numbers almost 300! This does not include the Auxiliary or the Sons of the American Legion. We are veterans and their families who are "Still Serving America".
National priorities include medical and disability benefits for veterans, the Flag Protection Amendment, National Security, Civil Preparedness, Children and Youth programs. Many thousands of dollars and thousands of volunteer hours are put in by members of the Legion family.
Post 4 Haverhill. Some of the community service activities/funds provided includes:
- Coordination of Veterans Day parade
- VA Hospital visits
- Santa fund donations
- Red Cross donations
- Red Cross Blood Drives
- Hurricane Relief Donations
- Boys State (local student(s) go to a week long program on government)
- Senior Citizen Thanksgiving Dinner (annual)
- Children’s Halloween Party (annual)
- Fund raisers for Boston Children’s Hospital
- Joslin Diabetes Center Donations
- Newspaper in Education Donations
- Support / donations to Haverhill Veterans Council
- American Legion Baseball (50+ members of the Hall of Fame played Legion Ball, including Ted Williams, Carl Yastrezmski, Carlton Fisk, Wade Boggs, Reggie Jackson and Yogi Berra) [Haverhill’s own Carlos Pena played Legion baseball]
- Big Brother/Big Sister donations
- New England Shelter for Homeless Veterans donations
- Support for the troops currently serving overseas by donations to groups that send them packages and free membership in the American Legion.
- Fundraiser for Operation Comfort Warrior
- Donations to Chelsea Soldier’s Home
- Mercy meals – (minimal charge to use the hall)
<< Previous Page